March 25, 2008

King Crab and Sea Cucumber


The school that I'm working at is very generous and really likes to take the staff out for dinner and even on day trips usually once a month. This month we did both!





A few weeks ago most of the teachers at my school took a trip with my director (Mr. Lee) and his wife to the costal town of Yungduk. The purpose of this trip was to go eat as much crab as we could. It was about a two hour drive to get there, so my director brought out the tv in his van and put in a movie - Freddy vs. Jason. I really hope that was just the only English movie he had with him at the time and if not, what a strange selection.

When we got there we were surrounded by restaurants, some having huge photos of crab on the outside, while others went to the extreme of having gigantic plastic crabs on the roof or for the entrance way. I don't know how we decided on a spot to eat, but we picked a restaurant where you got to choose your live crab outside and then they would steam it for you and serve it inside. While our crabs were being steamed we took a walk through the seafood market and along the boardwalk. One interesting thing we saw was people scuba diving. One of our Korean co-workers explained that they were women scuba diving and they were diving for sea weed. Sea weed is a huge part of the Korean diet, so I can see why they need a lot of divers. These divers are all women because it is the men that do all of the fishing.

We returned to our restaurant and ate and ate and ate. One thing that I missed though was the good ol' garlic butter for dipping that you get at home - none of that stuff here! I also experienced eating raw sea cucumber. I tried one piece and I will never try it again. We asked our director if he likes it and he replied saying that no, he didn't like it, but it was very healthy for you so that's why he ate it.










Later this month we were taken out to dinner at a buffet restaurant with a wide selection of sushi, other fish, meats and pasta. When we got there, our director explained that we were out for dinner to celebrate as the school had just won an award for being one of the top five English Academys in Daegu. I'm still not sure how they ranked the schools, none the less, that was pretty sweet to hear!

No comments: