July 23, 2008

Getting Muddy in Boryeong!

I had been looking forward to Mudfest weekend for as long as I had been in Korea. Well, it finally came and it was amazing!!! It was a 4 hour bus ride from Daegu to the 11th annual Boryeong Mud Festival at Daechon Beach on the north-west coast of Korea. I didn't quite know what to expect before coming to this festival, but whatever my expectations were they were exceeded. I knew there would be lots of mud, lots of beach and lots of sun, but wasn't quite sure about all of the other things that were going on. They ended up having a Mud Prison, multiple mud wrestling jumping gyms, a mud pool, an obstacle course and a huge mud slide. Most of these events had too long of lines for my patience, so me, Laura, Ryan, Allison and a new friend Colin ended up hanging around watching, drinking, listening to the bands and hitting the beach. Ryan and Colin ended up joining into the mud wrestling pits and it was hilarious to watch.


That night we all went back to our motel to change - no mud for the rest of the night - and headed down to the water for the fireworks show. It was great to just hang out on the beach and take in the show with good friends.


The next day we all took it easy and enjoyed our time at the beach before we had to take off back to Daegu. Sandcastles were made (by Ryan), we were all painted in mud (by eachother or by the festival volunteers), and we all took advantage of the beautiful weather and water. I can't wait for the next beach weekend!

No comments: